Location Tracking, Facebook Privacy, Breaking Up Big Tech, and More!
— Foursquare Location Tracking Leaps Past the Creepy Line
— Will Zuck Make Facebook Private?
— Thousands of New Millionaires are Coming to San Francisco
— Apple has Big Plans for Self-Driving Cars
— Elizabeth Warren Wants to Break up Big Tech
— Congress Wants to Pass Net Neutrality Rules
— Huawei Sues the US Government
— Investors Sue Tesla to Keep Elon Musk from Tweeting
Host: Leo Laporte Guests: Mike Elgan, Paris Martineau, Patrick Beja
Improving government websites, blocking the big five, Spotify’s podcast move, and more.
— Alphabet Earnings: Google’s Cost Per Click
— Cutting out Google, Apple, Amazon, Facebook, and Microsoft
— The US to Ban Huawei 5GTech
— Germany Outlaws Facebook’s Business Model
— What if Google Just Doesn’t Pay Its Fines?
— Amazon Might Back Out of NY HQ2 * Amazon Live is Twitch for Infomercials
— Spotify Buys Gimlet and Anchor
— Apple to Pay France 500M Euros in Back Taxes
— Angela Ahrendts Says Goodbye to Apple
— Apple’s Security Wins and Losses of the Week
— Microsoft Says: Don’t Use IE or Office 2019
— Sprint Sues AT&T Over Fakey 5GE
— Marshmello Fortnite Concert is a Herald of the Future
— 2020 Olympic Medals Will be Made Out of Recycled iPhones
Host: Leo Laporte Guests: Matt Cutts, Gina Trapani, Dwight Silverman
FaceTime Flaw, Apple Spanks Facebook and Google, Huawei Suspicions, FBI Wants Your DNA, and more.
• How to Watch the Superbowl Commercials Without All That Annoying Football
• Apple’s Not So Horrible Quarterly Earnings
• Facetime Flaw Dulls Apple’s Privacy Shine
• Apple Spanks Facebook and Google for Data Slurping
• How Much Does Facebook Suck?
• Huawei’s Tendrils
• Family Tree DNA Gives FBI DNA Records
• Japanese Govt Will Hack IoT Devices
• SF to Ban Law Enforcement Facial Recognition
• Spotify Wants to Buy Podcasters Gimlet for $200M
• Americans Got 26.3 Billion Robocalls in 2018
• Netflix vs Amazon = Quality vs Quantity
Host: Leo Laporte Guests: Georgia Dow, Devindra Hardawar, Christina Warren
-Apple’s Tim Cook Calls for Data Privacy.
-773M Passwords Pwned
– How to Find Out If Yours Was.
-Amazon Tries to Make Alexa Sound “Newsy.”
-Google Buys Fossil.
-74% of Facebook Users are Clueless.
-Facebook’s 10 Year Challenge.
-Atari Founder Making Alexa Board Games.
-Stop Using Windows Phone!
-Tokyo Hotel Fires Half its Robots.
Don’t Go to CES, Apple’s Earnings Warning, Amazon’s Great Holiday, and More!
— Apple tanks on Tim Cook’s earnings warning – is the golden age of iPhone over?
— Are Facebook and Google too big to Fail? No. Here’s why.
— China and the US duel over security, AI, and quantum computing.
— Qualcomm vs Apple legal battles heat up.
— Fortnite and Pokemon Go rake in the dough in 2018.
— Amazon wins big over the holiday season.
— Microsoft wants to give you control over your digital data.
— For the 1st time in 20 years, an entire year’s worth of books, movies, and art enter’s the public domain.
— The 10-second toothbrush, the Kurigization of Things (KoT) and more reasons why you shouldn’t go to CES 2019.
Host: Leo Laporte
Guests: Iain Thomson, Mike Elgan, Alex Wilhelm
The Best of TWiT from 2018!
Host: Leo Laporte
The Best Stories of 2018
— Mark Zuckerberg promised to fix Facebook in 2018. How’d that go?
— Apple hits $1 Trillion; Jeff Bezos hits $150 Billion; Amazon warhouse workers hit $15/hr.
— Elon Musk’s ups and downs
— The biggest mergers of 2018
— Net neutrality ends, SESTA/FOSTA, and more legal news
— Bloomberg’s big blunder
— China’s social credit system and CRISPR babies
— Those we lost in 2018
Host: Leo Laporte
Guests: John C. Dvorak, Owen JJ Stone, Alex Lindsay
– Black Friday was Amazon’s biggest sales day ever
– Marriott Hack hit half a billion Starwood guests for 4 years
– Indian Microsoft scammers busted – Amazon’s new machine learning racecar, quantum blockchain, and more from re:Invent
– When is Amazon rolling out Prime Health?
– UK grabs thousands of Facebook emails from bikini app company – Google’s China woes continue
– Apple at the Supreme Court
– Microsoft tops Apple as world’s most valuable company
– Apple’s new iPad Pro is not the future of Apple, but it does point to it.
– Alibaba sells $1 billion in the first 85 seconds of Singles Day.
– Tech doomsayer says that the vast majority of people will soon be “The Useless Class.”
– 22% of Americans still trust Facebook.
– Oprah’s favorite things list on Amazon does not include goat soap.
– Amazon must give police Echo data and recordings in murder case.
– DEA and ICE are installing secret surveillance cameras in street lights.
– China unveils the first AI news anchor.
– Tesla Bio weapon Defense Mode keeps owners in smoke-filled California safe.
– With Net Neutrality gone, Sprint starts throttling Skype.
– FCC has harsh words about robocalls.
Apple’s new Macs and iPads, CIA’s not-so-secret websites, Twitter voter suppression, and more.
— Apple announces new MacBook Air and Mac Mini, then blows them both away with its new iPad Pro.
— Apple will no longer tell us how many iPhones it sells.
— How to kill an iPhone with a balloon.
— Iran unmasks dozens of CIA agents with a Google search.
— Google employees stage walkout over sexual harassment
— Amazon exec mad at Washington Post for leaking new headquarters location.
— Facebook targets ads at “White Genocide Conspiracy Theorists.”
— Voter suppression on Twitter, and IRL in Georgia.
— Passcodes are officially protected by the fifth amendment (at least in Florida, and only in some cases).
— Senator proposes a bill that would jail tech CEOs for misusing consumer data.
— FCC says community broadband is an “ominous threat to the first amendment.”
Host: Leo Laporte Guests: Brian McCullough, Iain Thomson, Mike Elgan